Working From Home? Here Is Our Guide To Staying Productive And Being Successful
As coronavirus changes the daily lives of Americans, lately many of us get the privilege to work from home to be safe. There are certain perks to working from home. You officially have the shortest commute and your meetings do not happen in the conference room. But, if you are not careful, working from home can also come with some downsides. If you are the type to get distracted easily, do not worry, there is hope.
Here is our guide to staying productive. Want to know if they work? Well, this blog you are reading right now was written from home sweet home.
1. Get an office. Set aside a whole room or a portion of your home that is for all business and only business. Your bed would not be the ideal location to set up your office because that is where you sleep.
2. Get rid of background noise. Be aware of how productive you are while listening to music. Playing music all day helps some people while it can distract others. So, find out which one you are.
3. Break a sweat! Since gyms are shut down in California for a while due to the Covid-19 virus outbreak, make it apart of your job to set aside about 30 minutes to an hour to get your body moving at home. Working from home can reduce the amount of calories we burn in a day. You can still workout outside in nature. You could even throw on workout video to your liking on YouTube. So, grab that jump rope, some light weights or both. No excuses.
4. Keep essentials in your workspace. Keep items such as snacks, coffee or a cozy sweater near your desk. This is a way to prevent you from getting up to grab something and encountering who-knows-what distractions around the house.
5. Know when to take a break. When your home is also your office, it can feel like you are always working. Decide when you are done for the day, and stick to it.
6. Communicate! Make sure to stay in communication with people throughout the day. Chat with colleagues, schedule phone meetings or even check in on Zoom. This will make you feel less lonely and it will also make you feel like an asset to the company you are working for.
7. Get Dressed. Keep your outfit casual and comfortable, but not in the pajama family. It might sound unnecessary, but you will feel more professional, and you will be prepared if a last-minute meeting comes up.
8. Keep things clean! Make sure to always have your workspace clean by the end of the day, so when you come back to it the next day, you are ready to work without clutter. Also doing this will help reduce trash from piling up.
9. Look at the perks of working from home. You are home during the day. Do you realize what that means? You save on gasoline because you don't have to drive to the office. Most importantly, you won't get anyone sick if you come to work with a sniffle. The more you enjoy working from home, the more you will enjoy your job. Now, get back to work!