Summer Heat Safety At Home
In sunny southern California, it's hot enough to be outside! Beat the heat this summer and stay cool indoors with the following tips:
- Cover windows to block extra heat from direct sunlight coming in.
- Use fans strategically. Your ceiling fans should be turning counter-clockwise to force the air downwards.
- Cook with small appliances, such as a slow-cooker or tabletop grill to minimize the heat level.
- Check on your elderly and disabled neighbors regularly.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day by drinking water steadily; don't wait until you're thirsty.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol which causes us to lose water more rapidly.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightly colored, and lightweight clothes.
- Do not exercise outdoors. If you must exercise outdoors, only exercise in the early morning hours, before 8 a.m.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Check the local news and other outlets for important safety information.